Sunday 31 January 2016

Salmon with Thai spiced cashew nut coconut topping


This was a lucky experiment that turned out to be delicious and very easy - not always the case, but this one will definitely join the regular repertoire. I served it with coconut rice and some broccoli and green beans. 
Update: I made this last week, thinking I had cashew nuts in the cupboard. I didn't, s I used a mixture of almonds and pistachios, which was just as good as the original recipe.

For 6 people

6 salmon fillets (about 150g each)
80g cashew nuts (unsalted)
1 thickish slice wholemeal bread 
2 spring onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
1 tsp Thai green curry paste  (I used Mae Ploy brand, which is quite spicy and strong; a little goes a long way and the dish had the perfect level of spice, you may need to use a bit more of other brands).
a good dollop, maybe 1 tbsp,of coconut milk (use a bit from the can you use for the rice)
dash sesame oil
small bunch of fresh coriander, washed
2 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut 

Preheat the oven to 190 C (fan).

Blitz all the ingredients apart from the salmon in a food processor until it forms a chunky paste (not too smooth, you still want some texture in the nuts).

Put the salmon fillets in one layer in an ovenproof dish and spread the topping over them evenly.
(As I'd made some summer rolls as a starter, I had a few bits of red and green pepper, carrot and spring onion left over, which I finely chopped and scattered over the salmon before baking it. I'm not sure whether it made much difference, but I didn't want to waste the veggies! Some finely sliced pieces of red pepper laid across the salmon would probably work well, but it would be fine without.)

Bake for about 15 minutes (until you see the juices start to run out of the salmon).
That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment